Its that time of the year!!! Two sleeps to go until Persian New year! We have teamed up with Global Gastronauts to bring you some insights into this exciting ancient holiday.
Lets talk about the Haft Sín (Haft= 7, Sín = S's)! Seven items that start with the Persian Letter "S" and additional objects that are placed on this symbolic table.
1. Somágh (sumac) : the symbol of the colour of sunrise
2. Serkeh (vinegar): the symbol of age and patience
3. Senjed (dried fruit from lotus tree): the symbol of love
4. Samanú (Persian sweet pudding): the symbol of affluence
5. Sabzeh (sprouts): the symbol of rebirth
6. Síb (apple): the symbol of health and beauty
7. Sír (garlic): the symbol of medicine and contentment
Additional symbols that you may see on a Persian table:
Sekkeh (coin): The symbol of wealth and prosperity
Sonbol (hyacinth): a flower
Other items included are:
Máhí (fish): the symbol of life
Tokhmeh Morgh (egg): the symbol of fertility
Sham (candle): the symbol of enlightenment
Shíríní (Persian sweets): to help spread sweetness!
Learn more Persian foods with Englisi Farsi Bilingual Book Series
For the first time, Persian and non-Persian parents can teach their children Farsi using the familiar phonetics of the English alphabet (finglisi). To cater to the next generation of multi-lingual and multi-national families, the series are available in printed book and e-Book form with interactive audio pronunciation and inviting, colourful images.
The perfect gift for Persian New Year!